Wednesday, 28 March 2012

The Sun is in the Sky oh why oh why Would I Want to be Anywhere Else...





Today marked the hottest day of the year in London. I know what you're probably thinking, it's only March. Yes, it is only March. But here in London, everytime the sun is out and is actually producing some sort of heat, it's important.

I thought I'd share with you today a piece I wrote last month, while dreaming of a day like today....

Hope you enjoy!

~Winter months are treacherous on any living soul but for Londoners, the winter months are almost intolerable. When the sun begins to shine, it’s as if the winter skin is shed and completely new, happier people are born. I know this, as I am one of them. A damp, cold and dreary winter has always haunted me as my worst enemy. I can’t help but become miserable with the never changing climate. Waking up in the darkness and then leaving work in the darkness, is enough to destroy anyone’s happiness. 

It is now February. Gradually, the sun is staying out to play longer each night. The frost is beginning to disappear and soon enough, the city of London will bud and bloom into the glorious summer city. 

Imagine you are on a bicycle. Your senses are open to each and every detail surrounding you. Slowly moving your feet down, then up, hold those summer senses. The dog that ran into the pond chasing geese, you can smell his fur. The sun beating down on your skin, the warmth is enough to hug you forever. The sound of laughter, whether it be children’s or adults, you don’t care. The sound of happiness is enough. You can feel the slight breeze through your bare skin as you pedal through the city streets. Or the slight splash of water from a passing boat as you soar down the pathway parallel to the river.

Next to you, a park, with families romping through the grass, or a couple sharing a picnic. 

The smell of BBQ’s becomes the summer’s perfume. Filling the nostrils of all who pass by. Iced drinks become a craving and your window constantly stays ajar for those few months.

The sun has the inevitable ability to grow smiles, whether from the young or old. It is nature’s one true gift to human kind and in London, this is never taken for granted.

I have never experienced a summer like this. Like this of London. Five months out of the year I dream of it, the summer, and where it will take me. The adventures are endless during a summer in London.
One day, I will miss it. My friend, the summer of London.~


Clockwise: Richmond Riverside - a wonderful place to people watch; The backyard of our old house; St Paul's Cathedral which was taken from the Thames riverbank and is not something that happens very often;  London Eye which is an amazing place for a picnic (Big Ben in the background).
C x

2 comments:

Melissa said...

okay, i need my glasses. did you change the font, i know, i know. i am giving you the grandma comment. beautiful by the way. :)

Cassie said...

I think I fixed it. Apparently the text size 'Normal' actually means Extra Small...Better?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...