Wednesday, 16 May 2012

Kia Ora

If you're anything like me 3 weeks ago, you don't know a whole lot about the little island country next to Australia.


I have yet to determine whether or not entering the country with my limited knowledge was good or bad. Nonetheless, I had the time of my life....


We arrived in Auckland (north island) on Friday the 27th of April. On Saturday, we picked up our home for the next two weeks. Betsy.




And thus began our adventures....


I could write a novel about the north island alone. But as I'm sure you can agree, we all don't have to time to read (or write) it. I have summarized the north island of New Zealand in photos. 


First night in Auckland


 Lake Taupo. This view brought to you by the side of the road.
 Kiwi crossing
 Craters of the Moon Geothermal walk. Not a good smell but amazing sights.
 There were specified paths as the craters can erupt at any time.
 The sound from this water was so strong I had to yell at Sam just so he could hear me. Although the picture doesn't do it justice, the water was a perfect aqua blue.
 Ferry ride from Wellington (north island) to Picton (south island). Incredible views.
 The first hike we did we stumbled upon this reservoir. It may not look like much, but it was very peaceful and serine. And sheep!
Mount Maunganui. The first free camping spot we found. Woke up to this in the morning and breakfast on the BBQ.
 Jumping for joy....
 Tongariro National Park. I must have stared at this waterfall for an hour....

 Tiki man in the Whakarewarewa village...
 Tongariro... again.... Getting soked!
 Maori performers in Whakarewarewa village... Some of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard.
 The Maori's of this village buried their dead above ground because of the on-going geothermal activity underground. 
These hot springs were and still are used for daily bathing and cooking. You can buy corn on the cob made right here!!
Bliss...


Have you had the pleasure of visiting New Zealand? I'd love to hear your tales of the north!


C x

3 comments:

Nicole said...

uummm.. this is literally amazing beyond words. i want to just squish up and jump into each of those photos!!

i have only visited Australia once, but i have a friend from auckland. i hear it is one of the most expensive, most beautiful places to live. :) OBviously.

xo

kirstyb said...

looks like fun

Melissa said...

love all the photos. i wish to travel someday but for now i will live vicariously through you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...