Sunday, 10 June 2012

The Perfect Picnic

To me, there is something both innocent and exciting about a picnic. Last Summer, Sam and I indulged in a fair number of picnics and I must say, I fell in love.


As you saw earlier this week, I am a proud (maybe a bit too proud) owner of a picnic basket and I was itching to put it to use. Luckily, we had a tiny spell of decent weather yesterday and we took advantage.


I thought, in spirit of picnic - itis (a word I think sums up my state of mind), I would share with you my favorite picnic food.


Please note that I do not think of myself as a chef in any way. These are just a few of my favorite recipes and hope to inspire the picnic - itis that may be hiding in all of you!


Chicken Salad Croissants


3 Chicken Breasts - Bake and dice. I only used a small bit of olive oil and dill to season.
1 cup of celery
1 cup of seedless grapes
1 small diced onion
Dash of salt and pepper
1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
1/2 cup mayo


Mix together and voila! Chicken salad. I chose croissants (cause I'd put anything on a croissant!) but use whatever type of bread you see fit.


Deviled Eggs


My mom has been using this recipe from the Better Homes and Garden's cookbook that she's had since my parents have been married. I only used half of the recipe as it was only for Sam and I.


6 Eggs
1/4 Mayo
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 teaspoon prepared mustard (yellow or brown)
1/8 teaspoon of salt and a dash of pepper
Sprinkle with paprika


To hard boil the eggs: put eggs in cold water and boil. Once boiled, turn off and cover for twenty minutes. Rinse with lots of cold water.


Once the eggs are cool, peel and cut in half. Remove the yolk and place in a pool. Using a fork, smash the yolks down. Add the remaining ingredients and mix together. Spoon the filling back into the egg.


Mom's Potato Salad
6 potatoes
1 cup of mayo
1/2 cup of onion
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 hard boiled eggs
Dash of salt and pepper


Boil and peel the potatoes. Mix in the remaining ingredients and place in the fridge to chill. 


What are your picnic must haves?


Stay tuned for pics from our picnic spot and my outfit tomorrow!


C x

4 comments:

Miss K said...

Looks and I believe must taste great! I love eggs and potatoes. Unfortunately I cannot even remember when I had my last picnic... About time I go for one. Now that summer's here!

Victoria said...

Oh, I definitely must try the chicken salad croissants.. It looks so freakin' delicious! :)

- Victoria
www.Vickkitas.blogspot.se

Olivia McCaskill said...

Yum! Devilled eggs remind me so much of my gran - haven't had them in far too long!

Cute blog! Following!

x Olivia
www.theblackpeony.com

caise said...

oh sooo yummy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...